NMR Museum: historical pics, Institute of Scientific Instruments, Czech Academy of Sciences, Brno, CR
This "NMR Museum" has been established to
preserve several old photographs from the history of Nuclear Magnetic
Resonance (NMR) at the Institute of Scientific Instruments. These
photographs are too modest and incomplete to pay tribute to the early
pioneers and achievements of NMR in our Institute - which is actually
the beginning of NMR instruments development in former Czechoslovakia.
Efforts are underway to prepare a more complete historical collection,
inluding also a written history
of NMR in our Institute.
An extraordinarily gifted electrical engineer
and physicist Josef Dadok initiated the research of microwave
spectroscopy since 1954 and later fully switched to NMR around 1957. By
that time, a predecessor of our Institute was called "The Developmental
Workshops of the Czechoslovak Academy of Sciences".
All this happened in times when only Varian
company in the USA was offering NMR instruments - however under a
strict embargo for the countries beyond the Iron Curtain ...
Acknowledgment: For most of the historical photos below and their dating, the author is greatly indebted to Ing. Oldrich Chramosta.
Click on the pictures below to get their larger and nicer version.
Ing. Josef Dadok (right), Ing. Oldrich Chramosta (left), and the technician R. Pospisil (middle).
The picture taken on September 21, 1960. A discussion before transporting a historical CW-NMR Spectrometer
(30 MHz) from our Institute to the Institute of Organic Chemistry and Biochemistry in Praha ...
That time, a bit more freedom was in the air, and Ing. Dadok, CSc., left for a visiting fellowship
in the USA in the fall '67 ... Later he become the Professor at Mellon Carnegie University in Pittsburgh, USA.